Filing An Auto Insurance Claim What You Need To Know cover

Filing An Auto Insurance Claim in Washington State: What You Need To Know

Dings, dents, or other damage done to your car from a recent accident? With over 2 million accidents per year, it is not uncommon to need to file a claim! If you’re dealing with the repercussions of an accident, even if it’s just minor damage, filing a claim can help keep money in your pocket and get you back on the road sooner.  For smaller damage below $1000 it is wise to handle the damage without the Insurance Company. The more claims you file the higher your insurance premiums. Glass claims are usually an exception.  But give us a call if you have any questions.

What does it mean to file an auto claim?

First and foremost, let’s talk about what it means to file an auto insurance claim. When you file a claim, you’re asking your insurance provider to help aid you in the cost of repairing your vehicle. You’ll report when and where the damage occurred, how much damage was done, and if other drivers were involved.

What should I keep in mind when filing an auto claim?

Now that we’ve covered the basics, here are some additional things you should keep in mind.

Filling your claim on time:

Most insurance providers require that you file a claim within 3 years  of the accident.  However the sooner the claim is started the sooner you can get back on the road.   If you don’t file your claim within the timeframe established, you can miss out on money that would have otherwise helped you repair damage to your vehicle. Always be proactive when it comes to filing your claim!

Collecting all the necessary information:

The easiest way to do this is to take a picture with your cell phone of the other person’s Driver’s license, Insurance ID card, damage done to both vehicles, and situational awareness photo to show the situation.  Collect the driver’s phone number.

You’ll want to provide a detailed account of what happened. This is what we call the who, what, when, and where of the accident. Who did the accident involve? What was damaged? And when and where did it happen

Knowing the difference between collision and comprehensive insurance:

Looking at coverage after an accident is too late.  Collision covers the damage to your vehicle in an at-fault accident, less the deductible.

Comprehensive insurance, on the other hand,  covers other damage to your vehicle, like a flood, earthquake,  collision with an animal, theft, vandalism, or hail /weather events.

Filing a claim with Boyd Insurance Brokerage:

Here at Boyd Insurance Brokerage, we pride ourselves on being local and helping local. If you need an auto insurance quote or have questions about how to file a claim, give us a call at (509) 340-2693. You can also head to our website and fill out an auto insurance claim form. You’ll hear from a claims adjuster within 24 hours. We are here to support you as you navigate through life’s most unforeseeable circumstances.

Call Now ButtonCall Now