How to add a motorcycle endorsement to your washington state drivers license cover

How to add a motorcycle endorsement to your Washington state drivers license?

Are you ready to hit the open road and feel the wind in your face while riding your new motorcycle? Traveling by motorcycle in Washington is extremely popular. However, before you jump on your bike and travel down the road, you’ll need to get a motorcycle license endorsement on your driver’s license.

The Process of Getting a Motorcycle Endorsement on Your Driver’s License in WA

The state of Washington offers motorcycle endorsements for both 2 and 3-wheeled motorcycles.

Two-Wheeled Motorcycles

  • You must be at least 16 years old to apply for a training permit and to get your motorcycle endorsement.
  • The person must hold a valid WA driver’s license.
  • Take and pass the 2W permit and riding tests.
  • Apply for your 2W motorcycle endorsement within 180 days of passing your tests.

How to Get Your 2-Wheeled Training Permit

In order to receive training, you’ll need to apply for an instruction permit. You can do this online at the Washington State Department of Licensing website. You can also log in if you have an account or create an account so that your information is saved in the system. You’ll need to choose the DL license option of either Replace Your License or Renew Your License. You can choose to renew your license if you are within 12 months of its expiration. The system will provide you with prompts in order to help ensure that you’ve completed the process accurately and completely.

Once you get to your card info, you will see an O endorsement with the J restriction. Once you finish the process, remember to print out the copy of your temporary driver’s license. You will need to carry the printout with you until you receive your updated driver’s license from the DOL.

Understanding Your Training Permit

Once you have your training permit, it is valid for 180 days. You can renew it one time for an additional 180 days. This means that you must complete your training and tests within a maximum of 360 days. It’s important to note that you can only receive one permit and one extension within a 5-year period. Individuals with training permits are not allowed to carry passengers or ride at night.

How to Receive the Training for Your Two-Wheeled Endorsement

In order to get the proper training for your motorcycle endorsement, you’ll need to receive knowledge and training from an approved motorcycle training school. These schools often have motorcycle courses for beginners, intermediate riders and advanced riders.

Once you complete your course and pass the required tests, you’ll have to wait a minimum of three days. This allows the school time to enter the results of your course and tests into the Washington State Department of Licensing’s system. It’s important to note that if you are under the age of 18, your parents or a guardian must sign a consent form at the licensing office before you can receive your 2-wheeled motorcycle endorsement. If you’re over 18, once the three days have elapsed, you can apply for your 2-wheeled motorcycle endorsement online in the same manner in which you applied for your training permit.

Three-Wheeled Motorcycles

If you plan to ride 3-wheeled motorcycles, you’ll need to apply for a 3-wheeled endorsement. The good news is that the process is almost exactly like the process to get your 2-wheeled endorsement.

  • You’ll need to be at least 16 years old.
  • You’ll need to have a valid WA driver’s license.
  • You’ll need to pass a 3-wheeled knowledge test.

Just like with the process for a 2-wheeled endorsement, you’ll need to take your training and tests at an approved motorcycle school after you’ve applied for and printed your permit. Once you’ve passed all your required tests, you have to apply for your endorsement within 180 days. It’s important to note that you’ll still need to wait three days after completing the courses, training and tests in order to allow the school to upload your training and test results into the DOL system. If you are under 18, then your parents or a guardian must sign a consent form at the DOL office.

It’s important to note that the 3-wheeled training permit is valid for 180 days and can only be renewed once for an additional 180 days within a 5-year period. Additionally, individuals with their permits cannot ride at night or have passengers.

Motorcycle Insurance with Boyd Insurance Brokerage in Spokane

When you purchase a motorcycle and start the process of getting your motorcycle endorsement, don’t forget to purchase motorcycle insurance. At Boyd Insurance Brokerage in Spokane, we offer motorcycle insurance for 2-wheeled and 3-wheeled bikes so that you’re financially covered if you happen to get into an accident. We also offer car insurance, boat insurance, home insurance and life insurance.

To learn more about our motorcycle insurance and to get a quote, give us a call at (509) 340-2693.


Call Now